Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Beginning

I am a self proclaimed food snob.  I suppose its my mothers fault for being such a damn good cook.  Then I will have to blame the endless hours in front of the television as a teenager watching basically only Food Network, and Discovery Channel, of course.  The Discovery Channel used to have a show called "Epicurious".  This show existed before the Food Network was the Food Network.  It showcased very high-end chefs in seemingly unattainable restaurants serving seemingly unattainable food.  So I drooled.  I drooled and drooled and drooled.  Then I started to emulate the chefs cooking styles.  I remember making my first apple tart.  I caramelized the sugar and everything.  I felt like a chef.  

Before I go on, let me make it clear that I am not a chef.  I am a cook.  I love food....no, I adore food.  We never had much growing up, but we always had food, really amazing food come to think of it.  

Fast forward to now.  I might be lactose intolerant.  Bummer.  But that does not mean that I cannot eat delicious, mouth-watering, change your pants kind of food.  I'm not saying that I can make that food on a consistent basis, or that I eat food like that on a consistent basis when I go out to eat.  I am saying that one of my goals in life is to find food like that on a consistent basis.  Whether I cook it myself, pay for it at a restaurant, eat my mothers food or one of my friends' mothers food who just happens to know her mothers recipe for the best baked ziti you've ever had in your life (and no I don't know that recipe...*#^$%#%@), I am always on the search and when I find it, let me tell you, it is pure bliss.  I have yet to eat food that makes me want to cry, but when I do, you will know.  Everyone will know.

Until then, I will share all things food that I love.  Starting with this.

Penne with Prosciutto, Spinach, and Pine Nuts

This dish is completely dairy-free, but very tasty.  Let me know how it turns out for you!

1/2 pound penne
1 thick slice prosciutto, chopped into about 1/4 inch pieces (should add up to about 1/4 cup)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb cooked chopped spinach
1/2 lemon
3/4 cup dry white wine
2 T butter
Pine nuts to taste (2 T or so)

Boil the water, add oil and salt, cook pasta, drain, set aside.

We have used cast iron skillets my entire life, so until further notice, all is cooked in cast iron.  So in the cast iron skillet, add prosciutto and let the fat render out.  Once that has happened, add the cooked spinach, the garlic, and the butter.  Once the garlic has cooked, not browned, add the wine.  Let it cook for a few minutes until the alcohol has cooked out, then add some lemon to taste.  Add the pasta to the spinach/ prosciutto concoction.  

In a separate pan, preferrably something non-stick, and add the pine nuts.  Cook on low heat, and constantly move the pine nuts around so they don't burn.  Once they are nicely toasted set aside.  



Dish out the pasta then sprinkle some pine nuts on top.  Voila!  Bon apetit!


Stay tuned for more, and I hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds amazing Grace. Can't wait to try it one day. You're off to a great start... this will be my new addiction - reading your blogs, trying out restaurants and cooking!

    ReplyDelete